For those days when you need something you can quickly grab and eat on the go, these are two of my favourite nutrient (and calorie) dense go-to's. They're also two of the standard items I drop off on a new mama's door step to get her through those long nights.
- 2/3 cup cold pressed coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buckwheat flour or maca flour
- 3 scoops chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or carob chips, or raisins)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
Heat coconut oil, honey, and nut butter together first to make it easier to mix. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Spray or coat mini muffin tin with coconut oil, and press mixture into pan. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Cool completely before removing from the pan, to avoid them falling apart.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup dried coconut
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup choc. chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2-3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional: 3 TB brewers yeast (you can skip this, but if you're breastfeeding, brewers yeast is considered to help with milk production)
I usually heat the honey and nut butter together first, to make it a little easier to mix. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, and roll into bite-sized balls. Voila.
I've used almond butter, hazelnut butter, and peanut butter on their own, as well as done combinations of two together.